Tuesday 5 April 2011

J. S. Walker's Fourteenth Letter

King’s Mill Warf,
29th June, 1861

My dear Wife:

                I have only time to say I arrived safely yesterday and found my company all very well, in fine spirits and rejoiced at my return. They cheered as they saw me coming, which was very gratifying to me.
                Let me know how you and little Mary are. You can direct to Capt. Jno. S. Walker, 15th Regt. Va. Vol., Grove Warf, and I will get it. I think it is probable we may not be moved from here for some time unless there is some fighting on hand, which is not probable, just now down here.
                Love to all. Kiss the children.

                In haste,
                                                                Yours very affectionately,

                                                                Jno. S. Walker

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that even in a quick note, there is still such formality. It was definitely a different time.

    ReplyDelete